Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Highlights Of My University Year

Hello everyone 😊
It’s the end of the school year YEYII !! Before jumping into planning for summer and holidays I thought I’d share how my year has been since I feel like it was the most productive year I’ve ever had and worth memorizing somewhere on the internet.

As you may, or may not know, I am in my third year studying chemical engineering. Being very shy and extremely lazy, my two first years at uni in a nutshell were studying and hanging out with my friends, no extra activities no internships NOTHING. So by the end of last year I started realising the amount of opportunities I was missing out and how important social and practical activities are for my future as an engineer. Therefore I decided to never miss another occasion and set a goal to push myself as much as I could to be more active during this year.
Indeed I was and I am so happy about it ! Here are the highlights of my year:

Clubs


One of the best things about my university is that students have the ability to form clubs in several fields within which they can organise events, conferences, and activities to help them learn more about their future careers and ‘adulthood’ in general so I had a hand full of choices when it came to joining clubs.
The first one I joined was Chemistry Club (no surprise πŸ˜‚). My friends and I thought a lot about joining this club since we noticed that it wasn’t very active and we had tons of ideas about how to make it more interesting. So instead of just joining as members we decided that we were gonna be even more involved by joining the executive team, I chose to be the treasurer of the club. I will write more details about my experiences with Chemistry Club but I can say that joining it was the best choice I had ever made this year. I learnt how to manage my stress, how to lead a team, how to be responsible and how to speak with people of high positions which was one of my nightmares.



The other club I chose was IEEE. I honestly chose it because it is an international organisation and I thought I could benefit a lot from working within it. I did gain new friendships and developed my soft skills thanks to the variety of activities and I got the chance to visit an orphan's shelter which was an amazing experience.





Sports



This wasn't on my plans at all !! At the beginning of the year it was announced that a volleyball team was going to be formed and I didn’t pay attention to it because I never played volleyball except for those time in the beach with friends and I had no idea about its rules or anything but one of my friends, who used to play, encouraged me to join with her (hi foufou) and reassure me that it wasn’t hard at all. So I agreed and went with the flow. It was so much fun and I got the chance to discover the team spirit, the atmosphere of matches, qualifications, winning and losing which I have never experienced before. I also competed against other universities under the name of mine, I loved it ! But to be honest I stopped practicing by the middle of the year due to other stressful things that were going on in my life including exams and responsibilities. I still feel bad for stopping but I think it was because I wasn’t as passionate about the game as my other team members but I continued supporting them and we remained friends.


that's me at the top right

Events


I participated in the organisation of A LOT of events but I’m only gonna go through the details of two of my favourites and that has affected me the most.

STAR program with IEEE:

This was the event I mentioned earlier when we visited an orphanage. The most heartwarming event I have ever attended !! The goal was to introduce the kids, who were aged between 5 and 13, to the career of an engineer. We started off by asking them about their dream jobs then we made several workshops where they got to see what a chemist, a biologist, a mathematician, a physicist did in their jobs using their basic knowledge and a lot of fun games. Then there was a quizz where the winner was given a big present but also everyone else went home with small gifts which they were so happy and excited about. Seeing those kids so hopeful, creative and full of energy and potential felt amazing and kind of reminded me of my own goals and dreams and refreshed my mind.


HSE day with ChemClub:

I was the manager of this event and gosh it was stressful but very rewarding. Health Safety and Environment day has the purpose of raising awareness about the importance of safety precautions in the working space, how to stay healthy while working and how to do that with respect to the environment. The event included workshops prepared by members of the club along with the presence of experts. I had the opportunity during this event to learn how to talk with sponsors, manage the money flow in and out of the club and keeping every team satisfied. We’ve spent months of hard work preparing HSE day and it was all worth it as the results were very satisfying, everyone enjoyed it and learned from it.

In addition to those two important events I participated in a debating competition (here) I talk about that experience. Also one of the funniest event was A Journey To Hogwarts where we had a Harry Potter themed event.

As I said I am very happy with how my year turned out and if I had to I will redo it just the same! Everyone should get involved in team work and clubs it’s so much fun and there is always something new to learn. And if you're concerned about your studies, all it takes is some good time management and planning and you'll be just fine (here are my tips to help you be more organized at school)

Let me know how your year has been and what do you think I should try next year? 

 You can also find me on Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'

No comments: