Thursday, March 23, 2017

A Wedding In The Island Of Dreams



              Last weekend I had the blast to attended my cousin's wedding in my beloved home town Djerba which is an island in the south of Tunisia. I usually dislike weddings because I get bored and they seem all the same to me besides the fact that I have to kiss and hug every single member of my, very large, family. But this time was different because it has been a long while since I've visited Djerba and this cousin of mine is very precious to me since we were raised together as kids. 
From the moment I knew about the wedding I got very excited and I couldn't stop talking about it !! Koukou- the bride- decided that the wadding was going to be all traditional. I loved that because I was always curious to know about my home town's traditions, it made me connect with my roots and it has a strange good feeling.

So according to the traditions, people should not lay eyes on the bride a month before the wedding this is why she shouldn't go out much and even if she does she has to wear something to cover her face. Also during this period of time she is not allowed to see her groom. The reason behind this is to keep her skin healthy and unexposed to the sun and for the people to be amazed by her beauty during the wedding.



few days before the wedding, the bride goes to EL Hammem, it's a sort of spa, with her friends for a relaxing evening. Later on that day, the groom send 10 kids to the bride's house to bring her the wedding ring and a lot of presents then they each go home with a boiled colored egg which was very cute. I still don't know the reason behind the eggs part.
The next day, a little party is organized for all the ladies where they all dress up traditionally, which is very cool and pretty!! A group of women, El Ghanayet, animate this party with old Djerbian songs.




A day before the wedding day, everyone is invited for a big dinner and at that same day the bride applies the Henna and Harkous


For the wedding day (my personal favourite!!) the groom send a camel to the bride's house, it's called Jahfa, to take her from her house to his. All the attendees follow the Jahfa singing along with a troupe Tabela and dancing to the rhythms. The beginning of the ceremony was heart worming and very emotional, it was hard to see the bride's parents and sisters shedding tears, happy tears I guess, for seeing their loved one starting a new era of her life. When we arrived at the house, the groom runs to Jahfa with his best man and taps it 4 times with a sword then runs out of the house and comes back only when his mother goes and find him. Then, the bride's brother has to carry her to the house (she is not allowed to touch the floor because they say it's bad luck)





the wedding continues in the groom's house where Tabela keep singing and now the bride has to wear this gorgeous outfit full of gold.



The other special thing about this ceremony is that men and women are sat in different places and men, including the groom, get very drunk that night I think to enjoy his last day as a bachelor. The party ends very late that night, around 3am.

I really enjoyed this different kind of wedding and something to notice is that the bride didn't wear a white dress all along, which I loved. Although it was very tiring, it was so much fun and I am so glad I got to know all about my hometown's traditions.

what about your traditions?

Follow me on: Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'

No comments: